Small Public Group Tour
This small public group tour of maximum four travelers departing from Amsterdam explores the authentic windmills of world heritage Kinderdijk.
There's not a windmill complex like this anywhere else in the world to be found. The ingenious system of windmills and pumping stations has been keeping the soil dry here for nearly a thousand years now, in a constant struggle between human brains and the power of the water.
Kinderdijk is of international value. Not only because of the windmills, but also because all water management technology from the Middle Ages that can be seen here. There are dikes, storage reservoirs and modern pumping stations.Tour Description
The transfer from Amsterdam to Kinderdijk takes about 1.5 hours. Upon arrival, set of on a live-guided walking tour of the area. Discover the area's historical importance and visit two museum windmills, where you can meet its millers and learn about their trade. All the other windmills are still inhabited by millers and their families. Climb the steep stairs inside one of the mills and see for yourself how water and wind are paramount in the lives of millers. Ask the millers anything you'd like to know about milling, before walking back to the visitor's center. The total walking distance is 1 - 1.5 mi.
Back at the visitor's center your guide sets up a meeting point and time for later, so you also have some personal time to explore the area on your own or to enjoy a coffee while taking in the peaceful scenery. With your ticket, let the skippers of Kinderdijk carry you across the glittering basin waters for 30 minutes; a guarantee for marvellous pictures. Then it's time for the transfer back to Amsterdam, where you are dropped off at the same place as where you started the tour.
Interested in who we are?
Read what our travelers say about our tours!
• Comfortable, air-conditioned transportation • Hotel pick-up & drop-off in Amsterdam
• Professional, friendly guide
• Live-guided walking tour of Kinderdijk in English
• Admission Kinderdijk, incl two windmills
• Headsets to hear the guide clearly
• 30-min canal cruise
• All taxes, commissions and handling charges
• Small group of max four travelers means an off-the-beaten path experience
• Adult (age 12 - 64) € 109
• Senior (age 65+) € 99
• Child (age 8 - 11) € 99
• Pick-up & drop-off: free, just select no pick-up in the booking engine
• Booking engine closing time: 12 hours before the tour. Too late? Contact us, perhaps we have availability
• 24-hr free cancelation policy; cancel with just one click and receive a full refund instantly
• Questions? Use the messenger on this page or contact us directly
• Pick-up is between 10:00 - 10:30 am -exact time is communicated by 6 pm, the day before the tour
• Duration of complete tour: 6 hrs
• Group size: max 4 travelers
• Tour guide is also the driver
• Minimum age for participation is 8 years. Traveling with children younger than 8? Check out our private tour to Kinderdijk
• Available daily, March - November