Small Public Group Tour
This small public group tour visits the authentic windmills of UNESCO's Kinderdijk and departs from Amsterdam Central Station. You have the option to add hotel pick-up & drop off in Amsterdam to your booking if you find the station too far or too difficult to reach.Tour Description
There's not a windmill complex like Kinderdijk anywhere else in the world to be found. The ingenious system of windmills and pumping stations has been keeping the soil dry here for nearly a thousand years now, in a constant struggle between human brains and the power of the water.
Kinderdijk is of international value. Not only because of the windmills, but also because all water management technology from the Middle Ages can be seen here. There are dikes, storage reservoirs and modern pumping stations.
The transfer from Amsterdam to Kinderdijk takes about 1.5 hours. Upon arrival, watch a brief introductory movie about Kinderdijk and learn about its historical importance. After the movie your guide walks you to two museum mills, where you can meet the millers and learn about their trade. All the other windmills are still inhabited by millers and their families. Climb the steep stairs inside one of the two mills and see for yourself how water and wind are paramount in the lives of millers. Ask the millers anything you'd like to know about milling, before walking back to the visitor's center. The total walking distance is 1 - 1.5 mi.
Then your guide sets up a meeting time and point, so you also have some free time to explore the area on your own. With your ticket, let the skippers of Kinderdijk carry you across the glittering basin waters for 30 minutes; a guarantee for marvellous pictures. Then it's time for the transfer back to Amsterdam, where you are dropped off at the same place as where you started the tour.
Interested in who we are?
Read what our travelers say about our tours!
• Comfortable, air-conditioned transportation
• Professional, friendly guide
• Walking tour in Kinderdijk
• Headsets to hear the guide clearly
• Admission two windmills
• 30-min canal cruise
• All taxes, fees and handling charges
• Escape mass tourism
• Adult (age 12 - 64) € 109
• Senior (age 65+) € 99
• Child (age 8 - 11) € 99
• Hotel pick-up & drop off in Amsterdam € 10 p.p. (children free)
• Booking engine closing time: 12 hours before the tour. Too late? Contact us, perhaps we have availability
• 24-hr free cancelation policy; just drop us a line by email, SMS, WhatsApp or messenger at least 24 hours before the tour
• Questions? Use the messenger on this page or contact us directly
• 10:30 am departure from Amsterdam Central Station, IJ-zijde, K+R West
• Pick-up & drop-off optional
• Pick-up (if booked) is between 9:45 - 10:30 am -exact time is given by 6 pm, the day before the tour
• Duration of complete tour: 6 hrs
• Group size: max 7 travelers
• Tour guide is also the driver
• Minimum age for participation is 8 years. Traveling with children younger than 8? Check out our private tour to Kinderdijk
• Available daily, March - November