Small Public Group Tour from Amsterdam
Anyone interested in authentic windmills should visit world heritage site Kinderdijk as here you can live the tale of an exciting windmill adventure. Continue your coronaproof tour to Amstrerdam Castle Muiderslot to learn all about medieval castle life and the Dutch 17th century*.Tour Description
This small public group tour of maximum four travelers departs around 9:30 am from Amsterdam and includes the comfort of hotel pick-up and drop-off. The first stop of this full day tour is world heritage site Kinderdijk. There's not a windmill complex like this anywhere else in the world to be found. The ingenious system of windmills and pumping stations has been keeping the soil dry here for nearly a thousand years now, in a constant struggle between human brains and the power of the water.
Upon arrival, set off on a private guided tour of the Kinderdijk area and learn about its (historical) importance. Let the skippers of Kinderdijk's Canal Hopper carry you across the glittering waters of the basins to windmill Nederwaard. Together with your guide you climb the stairs inside the windmill, where you can see that clever historical engineering for yourself. Meet the miller and learn about his trade. Ask him anything you'd like to know about milling!
After a bit of personal time, you meet with your guide again for the transfer to one of the oldest and best preserved castles of the Netherlands: Muiderslot Castle. This national museum is a real medieval castle, and has a moat, towers, battlements, arrow slits and a drawbridge. The castle is over 700 years old and has a long and turbulent history. Discover its secrets, with included admission and a 1-hr live-guided tour in English, covering most part of the castle (audio-tour in other languages 🇩🇪 🇮🇹 🇪🇸 🇫🇷 🇷🇺 🇮🇱 🇨🇳 available).
After the tour you have some personal time to continue your explorations in the castle, or to discover the beautiful historical gardens where they grow vegetables of the past and herbs for all sorts of purposes. Then it's time for the drive back to Amsterdam, where you are dropped off at the same place as where you started the tour.
* With respect to the wealth the Dutch colonial history gained, many speak about the Dutch Golden Age. With all its controversy, we choose not to use the term but instead speak about the Dutch 17th century. Hopefully others will follow in this #blmInterested in who we are?
Read what our travelers say about our tours!
• Comfortable, air-conditioned transportation
• Pick-up & drop-off in Amsterdam
• Private guide for 7.5 hours
• Headsets to hear the guide clearly
• Admissions world heritage Kinderdijk, incl. canal hopper
• Private guided tour of Kinderdijk in English, incl. windmill visit
• Admission national museum Amsterdam Castle
• 1-hr private guided castle tour in English
• Audio-tour in 🇩🇪 🇮🇹 🇪🇸 🇫🇷 🇷🇺 🇮🇱 🇨🇳
• All taxes, fees and handling charges
• Adult (age 12 - 64) € 139
• Senior (age 65+) € 129
• Child (age 8 - 11) € 129
• Hotel pick-up & drop off in Amsterdam € free, as we confirm each booking personally, you can just select 'no pick-up' in the booking engine
• Boxed Lunch € 15 p.p.
• Booking engine closing time: 8 pm, the evening before the tour. Too late? Contact us, perhaps we have availability
• 24-hr free cancelation policy; click 'cancel' in your booking confirmation and receive a full refund instantly
• Questions? Use the messenger on this page or contact us directly
• Pick-up is between 9:15 and 9:30 am -exact time is communicated by 6 pm, the day before the tour
• Duration of complete tour: 7.5 hrs
• Max. group size is reduced to 4 travelers
• Tour guide is also the driver
• Available daily (except Mon) from March until November
• Minimum age for participation is 8 years. Traveling with children younger than 8? This tour is also available as private tour