Visit with your own private party the authentic windmills of UNESCO's Kinderdijk. Start your private experience comfortably, as your guide picks you up from any address in the Randstad region.Tour Description
There's not a windmill complex like Kinderdijk anywhere else in the world to be found. The ingenious system of windmills and pumping stations has been keeping the soil dry here for nearly a thousand years now, in a constant struggle between human brains and the power of the water.
Kinderdijk is of international value. Not only because of the windmills, but also because all water management technology from the Middle Ages can be seen here. There are dikes, storage reservoirs and modern pumping stations.
Upon arrival at this world heritage site, watch a brief introductory movie about Kinderdijk and learn about its historical importance. Enjoy a walking tour of the area (2 mi) and visit two mills. Climb the stairs inside museum mill Nederwaard and discover how this medieval engineering actually works. See how miller Hoek, his wife and their thirteen children lived in this windmill in the old days. Now you can meet one of the current millers and ask them anything you'd like to know about milling or milling life. Continue to windmill Blokweer and see how millers and their families lived completely self-sustainable in the 1950s. All the other windmills in Kinderdijk are still inhabited by millers and their families.
Once back at the visitor's center your guide sets up a meeting point and time, so that you have some free time to explore the windmills from the water. Let the skippers of the Kinderdijk Canal Cruiser carry you across the glittering waters of the Kinderdijk basins for 30 minutes; a guarantee for marvellous pictures. Then it's time for the transfer back to your drop-off address.
If you find the walking too much or too long, you can also choose to use your boat ticket for Kinderdijk's Canal Hopper. This boat sails the same route as the Canal Cruiser, but stops at the two windmills. This way you can skip most of the walking, although the second windmill can only be reached by foot (10 min).What's Included?
- Comfortable, air-conditioned transportation
- Pick-up from (& drop off at) any address in the region
- Professional and friendly guide
- Admission to UNESCO's Kinderdijk
- Admission to two windmills
- Walking tour of the area and windmills
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Boat ride: canal cruiser or canal hopper
- Lunch pack optional
- All taxes (21% sales tax), fees and handling charges
- Private tour means flexibility with the itinerary and pick-up address & time
- Pick-up time is 10:30 am, but depends on your pick-up address and your preferred time (if available)
- Infant seats available, let us know during check-out if you need any
- Tour guide is also the driver
- This tour is also available as small public group tour
- This experience available from March until October
- 1 Adult (age 12+) € 299
- 2 Adults, per person € 208
- 3 Adults, per person € 147
- 4 Adults, per person € 116
- 5 Adults, per person € 98
- 6 Adults, per person € 85
- 7 Adults, per person € 76
- Child (age 4-11) € 35
- Infant (age 0-3) Free
- Infant seat(s) Free
- Lunch pack optional, per person € 15
- Booking engine closing time: 24 hours before the tour. Too late? Contact us, perhaps we
- 24-hr free cancelation policy; just drop us a line by email, SMS, WhatsApp or messenger (at least 24 hours before the tour)
to cancel. We ALWAYS reply.