Small Public Group Tour
It is not for nothing that Texel is in the Lonely Planet's top 10 list of top experiences in the Netherlands. The island is the largest West Frisian Island in UNESCO's Wadden Sea, which were created by a catastrophic flood in the Netherlands in 1170. Since then the islands shield the mudflat region of the Wadden Sea from the North Sea. About one third of Texel is a protected nature reserve and ideal for anyone wanting to discover its unspoilt nature and picturesque villages. Perfect as a day trip from Amsterdam!Tour Description
This small public group tour of maximum four travelers departs at 9:30 am from Amsterdam and includes hotel pick-up and drop-off.
Enjoyment starts already in the minivan, as you leave the city of Amsterdam behind you and watch the Dutch landscape pass by, that is as flat as a pancake. Enjoy the interesting narration about the Netherlands by your friendly and professional guide, on the way to the top of the province of North-Holland. Upon arrival in Den Helder, the ferry crossing the peaceful Wadden Sea takes you to Texel. The journey from Amsterdam to Texel takes about two hours total.
Once on the island, the e-bikes are waiting to be taken out. The total route takes about 1.5 to 2 hours (excl. stops) and covers the southern part of the island. Cycle (slowly) among sheep that graze on the Wadden Sea Dyke, as the route leads to a beautiful farmhouse dating back to 1684. The same family that bought the thatched roofed farmhouse over a century ago turned it in 1965 into a restaurant. And since then they are responsible for the pancakes that are 'world famous on Texel', using mostly local products. Because when you're on the island, you can't miss the typical Texel's Pancake, made with Texel's famous sheep cheese or with any other delicious topping, sweet or savory.
The next stop is the picturesque village of Den Burg, where you have some free time to wander around and/or to grab a dessert. The ice cream shop in the village makes their own amazingly delicious ice cream, traditionally made from fresh farmer's milk from the Texel cow. And their sorbet ice cream is packed with fruit. Or spend your free time in the Texel antiquities room, a small museum (in a house built in 1599) that is furnished with Texel's furniture and utensils from the 19th century.
Then it’s time to cycle back to the pier, drop off the e-bikes, embark the ferry and the drive back to Amsterdam. You are dropped off at the same place as where you started the tour.Interested in who we are?
Read what our travelers say about our tours!
• Comfortable, air-conditioned transportation • Hotel pick-up & drop-off in Amsterdam
• Professional, friendly guide for the day
• Return ticket for the ferry
• E-bike tour incl. full day use of e-bike
• Headsets to hear the guide clearly
• Texel's Pancake and locally brewed Texel's Beer (or wine/soft drink)
• All taxes, commissions and handling charges
• Unique, off-the-beaten path experience
• Traveler (10+) € 149
• Available from March - October
• Booking engine closing time: 10 hours before the tour. Too late? Contact us, perhaps we have availability
• 24-hr free cancelation policy; cancel with just one click and receive a full refund instantly
• Questions? Use the messenger on this page or contact us directly
• Pick-up is between 9:00-9:30 am -exact time is given by 6 pm, the day before the tour
• Duration of complete tour: 9 hrs
• Route follows 'quiet' bicycle paths. E-bike works the same as a regular bicycle; you cycle but without effort
• Traveler must be able to cycle, participation is on own risk
• Maximum group size is 4 travelers
• Tour guide is also the driver
• Min. age for participation is 10 years. Traveling with younger children? Check out our private tours
• Cycling route too short or too long? Our private experience to Texel is tailored to your preferences.