It is not for nothing that Texel is in the Lonely Planet's top 10 list of top experiences in the Netherlands. The island is the largest West Frisian Island in UNESCO’s Wadden Sea, which were created by a catastrophic flood in the Netherlands in 1170. Since then the islands shield the mudflat region of the Wadden Sea from the North Sea. About one third of Texel is a protected nature reserve and ideal for anyone wanting to discover its unspoilt nature and picturesque villages. Perfect as a day trip from Amsterdam!Tour Description
At 9:30 am our white minivan departs from Amsterdam Central Station. You have the option to add hotel pick-up in Amsterdam to your booking, if the station is too far out or too difficult to reach by yourself. This way you also have transportation to and from the meeting point.
Enjoyment starts already in the minivan, as you leave the city of Amsterdam behind you and watch the Dutch landscape pass by, that is as flat as a pancake. Enjoy the interesting narration about the Netherlands by your friendly and professional guide, on the way to the top of the province of North-Holland. Upon arrival in Den Helder, the ferry crossing the peaceful Wadden Sea takes you to Texel. The journey from Amsterdam to Texel takes about two hours total.
Once on the island, the e-bikes are waiting to be taken out. The total route takes about 1.5 to 2 hours (excl. stops) and covers the southern part of the island. Cycle (slowly) among sheep that graze on the Wadden Sea Dyke, as the route leads to a beautiful farmhouse dating back to 1684. The same family that bought the thatched roofed farmhouse over a century ago turned it in 1965 into a restaurant. And since then they are responsible for the pancakes that are 'world famous on Texel', using mostly local products. Because when you're on the island, you can't miss the typical Texel's Pancake, made with Texel's famous sheep cheese or with any other delicious topping, sweet or savory.
The next stop is the picturesque village of Den Burg, where you have some free time to wander around and/or to grab a dessert. The ice cream shop in the village makes their own amazingly delicious ice cream, traditionally made from fresh farmer's milk from the Texel cow. And their sorbet ice cream is packed with fruit. Or spend your free time in the Texel antiquities room, a small museum (in a house built in 1599) that is furnished with Texel's furniture and utensils from the 19th century.
Then it’s time to cycle back to the pier, drop off the e-bikes, embark the ferry and the drive back to Amsterdam. You are dropped off at the same place as where you started the tour.
- Comfortable, air-conditioned transportation
- Professional, friendly guide for the day
- Return ticket for the ferry
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Full day use of e-bike
- Texel's Pancake and locally brewed Texel's Beer (or wine/soft drink)
- All taxes (21% sales tax), fees and handling charges
- Unique, off-the-beaten track experience
- Meeting point is Amsterdam Central Station, IJ-zijde, K+R West
- Tour departs at 9:30 am sharp from meeting point
- Hotel pick-up (if booked) is between 8:45 and 9:30 am
- Exact pick-up time is given by 6:00 pm, the day before the tour
- Duration of the complete tour: 9 hours
- Group size: max. 7 travelers
- Tour guide is also the driver
- E-bike works the same as a regular bicycle; you cycle but without effort
- The route follows 'quiet' bicycle paths
- Participation is on own risk
- Traveler must be able to cycle
- Cycling route too short or too long? Our private experience to Texel is tailored to your preferences.
- This tour is available from Monday - Saturday, March to October
- Traveler (from age 12) € 159
- Hotel pick-up & drop off in Amsterdam (optional) € 10 per person
- Price in the booking engine is the total price for all travelers
- Booking engine closing time: 3 pm, the day before the tour. Too late? Contact us, perhaps we
- 24-hr free cancelation policy; just drop us a line by email, SMS or WhatsApp, at least 24 hrs before the tour
- Tour will be canceled in case of bad weather such as continious rain or thunderstorms
Use the messenger on this page, check our FAQ page or contact us directly.Interested in who we are?
Read what our travelers say about our tours!